Wednesday, September 24, 2008

tied (and bolted) together

I went to the Doc yesterday. He un-splinted the hand and took a look. To my surprise he said that my skin was elastic/loose enough that he only had to make one incision! Unfortunately the hand is swollen like a bruise-green and yellow pitcher's mitt. Today one of our students woke up, opened his eyes and saw my fingers sticking out of my splint and said "Dude! why is your hand that funky color?!" Amy and I explained to him surgery, iodine and bruising due to blood pooling. Also, the tendons are so sore and stiff that I have about 10degrees of flexibility. :( My 1st rehabilitation therapy is Friday morning at 8:00 am.
The doc showed me the x-rays and explained that he used 2 differently shaped titanium plates with bolts and also showed me that he bound the bones together with a wire. I told Amy that my Dr. must have grown up in the country because he used bailing wire to fix me up... I guess there was no need for duct tape today.

In other news: on Monday, perplexingly, all the student's seminary materials were missing. We scrambled a bit looking for them and asked the bishop if he knew anything about it but continued on with the lesson as planned (using scriptures from the library). Long story short, we got a call from a nearly-apologetic (caught) student saying that the books would be returned by class time the next day. The next day he actually apologized and everything was dandy.

1 comment:

JJ said...

DANG! Allen, you are my hero! Let me know if you need anything...not sure what your Amy can already do for you, but yeah. Toodles!