Friday, August 29, 2008

sexy moose head




(Amy got a moose hat from her sister who visited Canada and it's actually cute...)
Last week I asked Amy out on an old-time funny-adventure date. Steam-trains through the dark "moonlight" redwoods, BBQ and line dancing pretty much gets the idea across. Hey, it seemed like a fun[ny] thing to do. it was actually pretty fun and a beautiful setting with ponds and ducks and a covered bridge. When we arrived, we felt a little sheepish because all of the other dates were wearing formals and we had just changed OUT of our dress clothes and into jeans and sweat-shirt/flannel (to fit in with the hill-billys).
Luckily the dressy people were there for a wedding reception - what a relief. the BBQ steak was pretty rare and we got a kick out of watching a cute ancient couple square dance.

The steam train through the woods was the highlight. Amy sat by a little boy holding a pink flower whom immediately tried to kiss her (well, nearly immediately). The kid must have been 2 or 3 and that his favorite color was pink, so I don't blame her for thinking he was a she when Amy asked the father about his very friendly daughter. I couldn't tell until I heard him addressed as "Timothy".

Our train ride was fun and adventurous. We spent a good hour trying to get up a steep grade (8.5%!) (3% is usually unheard of). We played the Thomas the steam engine game by trying and failing 3 times because there was so many riders that the load was too heavy (6 open cars full) . Eventually they had to call a diesel engine to push us to the top where we were met by guitar-playing "cowboys" singing around a campfire. There was hot chocholate and apple pie and good times. The train Also had 3 switch-backs where you go forward up hill and stop, switch the track behind the train and then go BACKWARD up another hill. It was pretty fun.

Amy and I danced to some [awesome] country music and acted silly. We had a good time- I hope she liked it.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, the boy did kiss me a bunch of times, and then was unable to when his father noticed him kissing me, and I think that's when you noticed he was trying to kiss me.

Yep, the moment the boy sat down by me and saw my moose had he immediately kissed me. Yeah, he wasn't a slow mover.

I did have a fun time, and you forgot about the apple pie that we were able to get seconds on. Oh YEAH!

Anonymous said...

completely jealous of the moose hat. i wish i had one.

Kaliska